The Kit

I spent a lot of time considering what stuff I should take with me, as it all had to fit into two smallish bags and I didn't want to haul any unnecessary weight around. In the end I think I got it spot on. There's nothing I wish I'd taken but didn't and, although there was some stuff I never used, I wouldn't have felt happy not having it with me.

I was able to wash all of clothes I rode in when I took a shower at the end of each day's ride, and it was always just about dry by the time I needed it the next morning.

I kept all of my clothing in the Ortlieb waterproof bag strapped to my handlebars. By laying everything in a flat pile flat and then making a giant clothing Swiss-roll before sliding it into the bag, it all stayed remarkably crease-free when I needed to wear it.

I took:

Bike kit:
  • Spare pair of bib-shorts and a spare jersey. Without these, any wardrobe malfunction in my main kit would have really compromised the ride.
  • Pair of arm-warmers. Unused, but the weather I actually got was freakishly hot and I'd normally have expected to need them at some point.
Stuff for evening:
  • 2 pairs of pants and socks. The pair I wasn't wearing would be washed with my kit.
  • 3 lightweight T-shirts
  • 1 pair of shorts. I had to make an effort not to spill food or drink over them, as I didn't have a second pair.
  • 1 lighweight fleece. I'm delighted that it never got cool enough that I needed it.
I have a small bag mounted to the top-tube of the bike, which was ideal for storing my camera (a Canon Ixus HS265) and a small notebook and pen. If I don't jot stuff down, it's forgotten in seconds.

The Carradice SQR Tour Bag contained:


Tools - kept in an old pencil case and carried in one of the side pockets of the bag. I didn't have to use any of this stuff but I'd have hated to have broken down on the moors without it
  • Multi-tool
  • Spoke-key
  • Spare brake and gear cable
  • Tyre levers
  • Spare chain master links
  • Bunch of zip-ties
  • 2 x rear and 1 x front clip-on lights. Unused, but taken in case of bad weather or if the evening pub wasn't in walking distance.
  • Chain-link tool
  • 2 x spare inner tubes. I'd much rather slap a new tube in than mess around repairing a puncture by the roadside.
  • Puncture repair kit. In case 2 spare tubes aren't enough
  • C02 inflator and 2 gas cylinders. I also have a mini-pump strapped to the frame, but one of these gets a tube filled to 110 psi in a few seconds.
In the main compartment:


  •  Map, in case of Garmin failure. To be honest, the signposting was excellent, so I doubt I'd have needed it even if I didn't have the GPS
  • Waterproof wallet to keep information on B&Bs, train tickets etc all in one place.
  • Red waterproof stuff-sack to keep all electrical stuff dry and in one place.
  • Kindle. This weighs very little and made the long train journeys tolerable.
  • Plug-in charger and charging leads for my Garmin, phone and MP3 player
  • Spare batteries for my camera, fully charged. I was surprised how good the Cannon batteries are, as I ended up taking a couple of hundred photographs on the one battery, so didn't need these.
  • Sony MP3 player. I like to listen to stuff at a sensible, low volume when I'm riding solo. This is tiny and does about 17 hours on a single charge
  • Spare ear-buds, because I have a knack for getting the cables snagged on stuff and snapping them.
  • Waterproof plastic bags, just in case I needed some (I didn't)
  • Front door and bike-lock keys


Toiletries bag containing:
  • First Aid kit - plasters, bandage, antiseptic wipes etc
  • Sudocrem - Used as chamoix-butter each morning
  • Savlon - Applied after showering to prevent saddle-sores
  • Toothpaste & toothbrush
  • Suntan lotion. This was very much a last-minute addition and got a lot of use.
  • Small deodorant spray
  • Disposable razor
  • Tin containing a Lush solid shampoo bar. This wonderful stuff was pressed into service as a shampoo, shower gel and detergent for washing my kit each day. 
Also carried were:
  • Decathlon waterproof jacket - Carried in the other side pocket of the Tour Bag. Not used, which is remarkable in the Lake District.
  • Decathlon featherweight windproof jacket.  Also not used because when the wind blew, it was bloody hot.
  • Small Gorillapod tripod for setting up the camera shots with me in them.
  • Kryptonite cable lock, carried clipped onto the top of the Tour bag.