Saturday 27th June 2015 – Before leaving.


The Plan...

The idea for this one came about on a wet and gloomy afternoon last winter when I tried to cheer myself up by planning some rides for the coming year.

It occurred to me that I'd never attempted a tour before. I quite fancied the idea of taking a few days to get from A to B, so I started looking at Google for possibilities.

The C2C (Coast to Coast or Sea to Sea, depending on who you talk to) stood out immediately as a good route for a first-timer who prefers his adventures to be tame.

Although it's only about 140 miles in all, I decided to split it over three days, giving me loads of time to take a very relaxed pace, with frequent stops or detours to admire the scenery, take photographs and eat cake. I'm planning on eating lots of cake.

And yes, I'm taking the wimpy option and staying in B&Bs each night. As much as I normally enjoy camping, my bike isn't really equipped for carrying a tent, sleeping bag and cooking equipment. There's also something comforting in the knowledge that I'll be getting a warm shower, a pub within walking distance, a dry bed, and a breakfast cooked for me the next morning.

The Bike...

As much as I’d have liked to do this one on my fixed-wheel Specialized Langster, a quick review of the gradients I’d be encountering, and the current state of my weight and fitness, convinced me that I’d definitely be needing some gears for this trip. My 10-year old Decathlon 7.3R seems my best option, so I’ve serviced it and fitted new tyres and brakes. 

The Rider…

There has to be a weak link in every chain and I suspect it’s going to be me. Part of my initial plan involved losing the best part of three stones and getting down to my ideal weight. None of that actually happened so, as well as my luggage, I’ll be hauling an extra cargo of animal fat over the hills with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.